Background and Situation:
- The project scope involved eight fossil plants
- Two of the plants were coal fired plants totaling 1,079 MW and 4,627 MW of gas fired capacity.
- Plant Personnel included 480 O&M employees. Of the 480 employees, 157 were Maintenance staff.
- All Maintenance Staff and Technicians were union employees.
- Tube leaks, boilers, pulverizers, turbines and wet scrubbers accounted for over 80% of coal fired reliability loss.
- Develop a systematic process for work planning & scheduling
- Clarify the work prioritization process to control emergency break-in work
- Standardize a fully functional Work Scheduling tool
- Improve Planner Skills and Planning accuracy
- Improve Productivity
- Improve operating predictability and reliability
- The strategy for this effort was developed through a Hoshin planning exercise that identified the primary objective as “Generation will Plan and Schedule Work Daily and stick to the schedule.”
- In partnership with our client’s staff, we led an effort to design a comprehensive Work Management process including procedures, tools, and execution organization.
- Delivered formal, focused Work Scheduling and Planner skills training.
- Set goals and expectations for Emergency work levels that reduced emergency break-ins from 20%-30% of total corrective work to 5%-10%. This directly impact their maintenance cost structure and ability to expand WM and safety.
- Coached implementation of the scheduling process and tool resulting in improvement in the scheduling and control of total labor resources from an estimated 10% to 100%. This directly drives productivity improvement.
- To increase the quantity of planned work from an effective level of 0 to over 1,600 planned hours per week, we coached implementation of the planning process and planner skills elements. This supported 53% of all scheduled work requirements.
- Implementation of the planner skills elements to improve resource planning accuracy moving from 14 hours /Job Plan to 9 hours toward a target of 5-7 hours was completed.
- Coached Weekly and Daily Schedule preparation and communication to move 4 of the 8 plants to the Target Schedule Compliance and Attainment of 80%.
- We coached the implementation of a KPI package at all plants and fleet wide which enabled measurement to targets, quantitative analysis, and continuous improvement.