Background and Situation:
- Sited on 840 acres with 2,300 DuPont personnel and 200-300 contractors.
- At project start the plant employed 456 maintenance craftsmen.
- The craftsmen are represented.
- The project started in April of 2002 and completed in February of 2004. RMG deployed 12 consultants during the implementation.
- Reduce Maintenance Labor Costs by $4,400,000 for 2003.
- Effect a structural reduction in the internal area maintenance labor force of 100 FTEs ($10,000,000 Annualized cost reduction).
- Utilize the identified excess maintenance labor to displace contract mechanics.
- Schedule all available labor.
- Eliminate use of non-discrete blanket W/O’s.
- Improve planning accuracy and reduce average hours per job.
- Implement a Process improvement and sustainability methodology.
- Effected a total structural reduction of 129 craftsmen ($13,000,000 annualized cost reduction).
- Reduced Area Maintenance headcount by 96 craftsmen and area craftsman by 33.
- Reduced Contractor headcount from 298 to 142 in 2003.
- Reduced Internal Maintenance labor costs by $1,733,00 for 2003.
- Reduced Contract Maintenance labor costs by $8,843,000 for 2003.
- 95% of available labor is scheduled.