- They had an excess of $100mm annual maintenance spend and 15% production downtime in 8 of their largest plants.
- Emergency break-in work was above 20%
- Inconsistent application of Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- No standard enterprise-wide process or metrics in place to manage asset reliability or monitor process performance
- A mix of union and non-union facilities
- Operations was disconnected from equipment ownership
- Establish and implement common enterprise wide asset management process and practices
- Reduce emergency work to less than 10% by implementing a planned and scheduled corrective and PM/PDM program that focuses on critical equipment and critical manufacturing processes
- Establish meaningful enterprise wide plant level metrics that can be used to manage plant operations more proactively
- Increase production uptime
- Establish enterprise wide Asset Management Excellence leadership council to sustain results and maintain control of the standard enterprise wide process
- Build joint maintenance and operations ownership of equipment
- Reduce maintenance annual spend by 10% in 8 largest plants
- Delivered comprehensive comparative work management process assessment in each of the three major business groups
- Facilitated work process “best practices” design activity (Foundation Building)
- Improved overall maintenance productivity by 20% resulting in
- Reduced supplemental maintenance contractor cost by 75%
- Reduced operations and maintenance overtime by 60%
- Reduced headcount by 18%
- Reduced maintenance cost in 8 largest plants by $14mm
- Implemented standard daily and long-range scheduling processes at all locations, taking daily schedule compliance from < 40% to + 80%.
- Implemented a standard, prioritized planning process that resulted in 80% of scheduled jobs being planned.
- Implemented operator rounds and manufacturing instructions that improved the participation of operators in maintaining asset reliability (PM inspections, lubrication and operating standards)
- Implemented Sustainability Control Plan that included audit package, metrics collection and site level responsibilities