- Suncor Fort McMurray site has two upgraders at the site with total capacity to produce 350,000 b/d of synthetic crude oil.
- In 2010 the Upgrader experienced 2 major fires due to Loss of Containment with costs in excess of $1.0 B
- Suncor’s Board of Directors initiated a corrective action plan to manage and eliminate LOC fires.
- Action plan targeted reducing emergency work levels, improving work prioritization and increasing productivity to complete more of the tasks known to help prevent LOC events.
- Implemented Work Management Process including Notification, Backlog Management Planning & Scheduling and PM Development.
- Trained 275 Operating & Maintenance staff.
- Coached & evaluated 200 core process users.
- KPI’s generated and utilized to maintain operational stability and drive process improvements
- Implemented improved documentation and communication between reliability groups and maintenance/ operations; resulting in improved focus on preventive tasks directly impacting LOC events
- All Critical Process Metrics beginning to improve by 10% to 25%.
- 3 month average for Loss of Containment Incidents in Q3 2011 was 10 versus baseline of 21 and target of 10 or less
- No RR1 Loss of Containment incidents for 5 months